Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance, Why do I need it?

Every year there is an estimated 6.42 million car accidents in the United States.  San Diego averages more than 1000 auto collisions resulting in injury,  per month. 

The state of California requires all registered cars to have liability insurance coverage.  So, that people who are injured in auto collisions are protected.  Therefore, you must have car insurance if you have a registered car in California.

Why Ives Insurance?

Ives Insurance works with top rated insurance carriers to give you auto insurance that meets your needs.

We are an independent insurance agency, with agents averaging more than 20 years of experience.  We can help you make sure you and your family are driving with the coverage you need.

Learn more about our auto insurance coverage


Auto Insurance Coverage 

An auto insurance policy consists of several different coverages. California requires auto liability insurance that covers bodily injury and property damage liability to protect the other party.  This helps you when you are legally responsible for an accident involving your car.



Ives Helps You Save

Ives Insurance Services will help you save on Auto Insurance...




Car insurance protects you financially against physical damage and bodily injury resulting from traffic collisions. Car Insurance also protects you from liability resulting from traffic collisions.

Car insurance may protect your car from theft and damage resulting from something else than a traffic collisions. Car insurance may also cover the loss of your car if you are involved in a collisions.

Car Insurance is required in California.

Insurance Premiums

You will pay an insurance company a monthly fee called an insurance premium. The insurance premium is determined by a variety of factors including:

  • the type of car covered,
  • the age and gender of covered drivers,
  • the driving history of covered drivers,
  • the location where the car is primarily driven
  • the location where the car is primarily stored.

Many insurance companies offer premium discounts based on these factors.

Insurance Card

The insurance company will give you an insurance card for the coverage term. You are supposed to keep the insurance card in your car. If you are in a traffic collision, you can use the insurance card as proof of insurance. California now accept electronic proof of insurance and may soon accept electronic proof of registration.


Insurance companies offer a number of discounts on their insurance premiums.  Here are some examples of discounts offered on car insurance.


Most insurance coverage have a deductible. A deductible is the amount you must pay, before the insurance pays for a loss. The amount of a deductible will factor greatly into the cost of your insurance premium. The higher the deductible the lower your insurance premium will be.

Liability Coverage

California requires you to have liability insurance for your (California Insurance Code §11580.1b). The minimum liability insurance required for a car is as follows:

  • $15,000 for injury or death to one person.
  • $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
  • $5,000 for damage to property.


Liability insurance covers claims against you up to a maximum amount called a limit. The limits are usually split for property damage and physical injury. It is possible to get a combined single limit

Who is Covered?

Drivers that live at the same address must be specifically covered on your insurance policy. Drivers who do not live with you are usually covered unless they are excluded on the policy. Therefore, if your children reach driving age, they must be added to your policy.

Driving a Car That Is Not Yours

Liability insurance may not protect you if you drive a that you not own. Non-owners policies are also known as named operator policies.

Non-Owner Policy

A non-owner policy will insure you on any car you drive. Even if the car belongs to someone else. Non-owner policies are helpful if you do not own your own vehicle. Non-owner policies are sometimes required by the government if you have been at fault in an accident.

If your drivers license has been suspended and you need insurance to get your license reinstated a non-owner policy will help you.

Rental Car Coverage

Liability insurance will usually cover rental cars. Comprehensive insurance policies ("full coverage") frequently apply to a rental car. You should verify this ahead of time.

Does Full Coverage Insurance Cover Rental Cars?

Full coverage premiums are based on the value of your car. This coverage usually does not apply to rental cars because the insurance company does not want to be responsible for a claim greater than the value of your car.

Your Credit Cards May Cover Rental Cars

Rental car companies offer insurance for rental cars. Many credit card companies rental car insurance unnecessary for rental cars if you use their card, because they provide supplemental rental car insurance.

Full Coverage Insurance

Full coverage refers to the combination of liability, comprehensive and collision coverage. There are still many options and different amounts for each coverage within a full coverage insurance. So, make sure you pay close attention to what is covered.

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage covers cars involved in collisions. Collision coverage has a deductible. Collision coverage is designed to provide payments to repair a damaged vehicle or pay the cash value of the vehicle if it cannot be repaired. Collision coverage is optional. Lenders often want you to carry collision insurance for the time of your loan or until the car is paid off.

Collision Damage Waiver or Loss Damage Waivers the term used by rental car companies for collision coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive insurance covers damage to cars that is not caused by collisions. Examples of things that comprehensive insurance covers would be:

  • tornadoes,
  • floods,
  • hurricanes,
  • hail storms,
  • fire,
  • theft,
  • vandalism,
  • weather,
  • impacts with animals .

Uninsured or Under-insured Insurance

Uninsured or under-insured insurance covers you if you are injured by an uninsured or under-insured driver. 15% of California drivers do not have insurance according to the Insurance Research Council.

Who does Uninsured or Under-insured Insurance Cover?

Uninsured motorist insurance covers:

  • You,
  • Your family
  • Your minor children who do not live with you
  • Your children who are at college.
  • Passengers in your car and
  • People driving your car with permission.

Uninsured driver insurance will cover you even if you are a pedestrian, bicyclist, motorcyclist or bystander.

What does Uninsured or Under-insured Insurance Cover?

Uninsured driver coverage pays for your financial and non-financial losses due to the negligence of:

  • an uninsured driver
  • under-insured driver
  • hit-and-run driver

Your financial losses that would be covered by uninsured or under-insured insurance include:

  • medical expenses,
  • loss of income,
  • any impact on your ability to earn money in the future,\ or
  • out-of-pocket expenses.

Non-financial damages include the loss of ability to engage in activities as a result of injuries, pain and suffering for which you are entitled to monetary compensation under the law.

Loss of Use

Loss of use coverage reimburses you for rental expenses resulting from an insured vehicle being repaired. Loss of use coverage also known as rental coverage.

Towing Coverage

Vehicle towing coverage is also known as roadside assistance coverage. Automobile insurance companies used to only pay for towing related to an accident. Many insurance companies now offer car towing coverage for non-accident related tows.

Personal Property Coverage

Personal property that are damaged due to car accident are not normally covered under your car insurance policy. Property that is not attached to your car is usually claimed under a homeowners or renters policy.

Some insurance companies do cover unattached GPS devices intended for car use.

Contact Us

Contact us and let our experienced agents help you get the right coverage for you at a great price. 

Ives Insurance is an independent insurance agency.  We work with top insurance companies to get you great coverage at a great price.  Our agents average more than 20 years of experience, let them help you figure out the right coverage for you at a great price.

Good driver discounts are based on the use of your car. The less your car is driven and the safer your car is driven, the more you can save.

You can get a larger good driver discount if you agree to share certain driving information and have an eligible car.  This may require you to have system installed that tracks your driving, such as OnStar or InDrive.

Good driver discounts are available on new policies as well as renewals.

You may qualify for a good student discount if you have less than nine years driving experience and you are a full-time student that meets certain academic criteria.

You must be a full-time student:

  • in high school
  • at a college
  • at a university

You academics for the previous semester must meet one of the following criteria:

  •     You are in the upper 20% of your class.
  •     You have a grade point average of B or higher.
  •     You have a grade point average of 3.0 (out of 4.0) or higher.
  •     You were on the Dean's List or Honor Roll.

If you have nine years of driving experience and you graduated from a four-year college or university and your academic record met the above criteria all four years, you may qualify for a good student discount.

Students in a home study program can qualify if they met the academic requirements by submitting evidence that they scored in the top 20% on one of the following national standardized tests within the last 12 months:

  •     PSAT
  •     PLAN
  •     SAT-I
  •     ACT
  •     TAP
  •     California Achievement Test

You may be eligible for multiple car discount if you meet the following criteria:

  • There are two or more cars primarily driven by people living at your address.
  • The cars are insured with the same insurance company.
  • The owners of the cars live in the same household and
    • are related by marriage, blood, or adoption, or
    • jointly own the vehicles and both be named on the insurance policies.